My lil sis is 17!


Today is my lil sis's 17th birthday. I'm a little emotional at the thought of her being so grown up. When she visited me a few weeks ago we had the opportunity to check out Westminster College here in SLC. She absolutely loved it! I think it will be an excellent fit for her if she decides to attend. Being at Westminster, Elizabeth would have the opportunity to be who she wants to be. To find her niche. I know she'll be successful wherever she goes. I am so proud of her for wanting to go to college and finding direction in her life. It's not an easy task. I know. I've done it.

I love my pumpkin so much (I don't know why I call her that...it just started and stuck). I wish I lived closer so we could do more things together. It's been hard being away during her teenage years. My sister is tough, but she also has a tender heart. She doesn't like to show it, but it's there. Elizabeth is honestly one of the funniest people I know. She's also not afraid to tell you like it is. Her first word was "meany"...enough said. An incredibly strong person, my sister has experienced her fair share of crap. But, she's never given up. She has what it takes to not merely survive, but to live well.

While I was in middle school and high school, EE and I shared a room. In my crazy, "turbo girl" state I didn't always appreciate her little messes, Jeff Gordon doll, and cat Perky. Sometimes I wish I could go back and complain less about her messes and just enjoy the fact that I could see her everyday. But, that's what time is for...to realize things we've taken for granted. Two specific things I regret for having inflicted on EE: 1)The time I told her she will be a terrible college roommate because she's so messy and 2)Last year when I flaked out and didn't take her skiing with our cousin Bill and his family. Sorry EE!

I like to think I've set a good example for my sister. That she can learn from my imperfections and realize that if I can go off on my own and graduate from college, she can too. I look forward to seeing what her life brings and where she will end up. My love for her has given me an insight into what it must be like to be a parent. I want to make things better for EE. When she cries about a boy I want her to know that everything will be ok, but I can't do that. She has to experience things for herself. I didn't know then what I know now, and neither does she. As the years progress I hope our 7-year age difference will continue closing gaps. One of the hardest parts about deciding where to go next in my life is being far away from my sister. Don't get me wrong---I love and miss my mom, dad, and brother too---but right now I miss my sister most.

Elizabeth, know how much I love you! I am so glad I have a sister. As cheesy and unoriginal as this saying is: life wouldn't be the same without you.

1 comment:

jjfid said...

I love this sweet post <3