Adventures & Lessons from Days 2-5...

I was going to try and blog every day this week but the internet at my apt sucks. Day 2 was better than Day 1, not amazingly fantastic but not awful either. There were two highlights of the day: 1) Meeting with Ensign Editors Larry Hiller and Melissa Merrill 2) Getting thoroughly lost in the parking garage after work. I'll start with the more positive of the two. Meeting with Larry and Melissa really helped get a sense for what I am supposed to be doing in regards to writing Ensign articles. Our publishing schedule is 13 months out so none of my articles will appear until 2012, long after I've moved on to another adventure, but hey...I'm going to have my very own byline!!!

Now for the not so fantastic part of Day 2: getting lost! When I left the COU (church office building...there are acronyms for EVERYTHING)I took the stairs down to the parking garage instead of using the elevator---fatal mistake number 1. I was pretty sure I had parked on P2 so I followed the signs to the P2 doors. When I stepped out into the sauna of a parking garage, I didn't see my car anywhere. I pressed my car beeper multiple times, hoping for my car to call out to me, but I didn't hear a thing. Oh crap! I got on the elevator to head back up to the main floor and try this whole thing again, hopefully with a different result. This time I went to P3---still couldn't find my car. So I walked all the way back to P2 and this time the elevator was broken. Finally, I decided to walk up and down the rows of cars until I could find mine. About 10 minutes later victory was mine!! The garage is all confusing because the highest level is 1 and the lowest level is 3, shouldn't it be the other way around? Now I park in the same spot everyday and I'm sure to note what level I'm parking on.

Day 3 was the best day of the week, especially because it was "Plant Day". One might ask, what is plant day? "Plant Day" could be the highlight of the month for church employees everywhere (on temple square that is). Every third Wednesday employees journey down to the Lower Level of the Church Office Building parking lot to fertilize, re-pot, or select a plant of their choice. Fortunately for me, my first Wednesday here at Welfare Services happened to be on the the third Wednesday of the month. Justin took Amy and I down to show us the ropes so we could select our plants. I went with a cute little "goldfish" plant(see picture above). Although it won't flower without being in direct sunlight, there are enough blooms on it to last quite awhile I think. The leaves are my favorite part. Their waxy exterior feels like my fake Ikea plant. That day Amy, Justin and I ate lunch outside which was very nice.

Day 4 was rather uneventful. I was extremely unmotivated and super tired. This whole getting up at 6:30 am isn't the most fun thing in the world, although it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Pretty sure I took a nap on the bathroom couch for about 20 minutes that day. There's this little curtain and everything that you can pull to be in privacy for a quick siesta. This couch is going to be a God send...I'm just saying.

Day 5 was great if only for the reason that it was FRIDAY! I survived one whole week as an intern. I asked more questions and started to feel a little more comfortable, although I'm still working on it. In the cafeteria on Fridays if you get frozen yogurt and you guess the price right, you get it for free! So my new intern friend Emily and I went down to the cafeteria to indulge in a delicious frozen treat. To my surprise, mine was only $1.12, which is a far cry from the prices of Coldstone or Tummy Yummy's! Neither Emily or I guessed our price right, although we were only cents off, but there were two people who did guess right while we were eating our deliciousness. You would have thought they won the lottery they were so excited! Ah the rituals of the Church Office Building cafeteria. It really is quite the happening place. I only hope that one day I will be one of the lucky ones to guess that the "price is right".

Overall, I would rate the week a 7, maybe a 6.5...B, B-. It was neither terrible or amazing. I hate the adjustment period and not knowing what I'm doing so it's going to take awhile for me to feel really excited about being here. I should be jumping up and down at such a great opportunity, but I'm not. I miss my old job and my old co-workers, but the interns here are great so I think that will help. Although I do love living in SLC, even though I miss Logan. Every day I take a new way home. Right now my favorite street is South Temple. There are these amazing victorian homes that are in prestine condition. They are absolutely gorgeous! I will have to take some pictures and post them soon.

1 comment:

jjfid said...

Love reading your adventures Rissy! Love you too!! xoxo Auntie
ps.. that yogurt pic looks divine!!:-)