A New Year's Resolution

I'm an English major who doesn't read. Last semester my roommates, with the best and sweetest intentions, reinforced this fact to me with the comment, "You know, for an English major you really don't read alot."

I love to read, I just never seem to make the time for it. As a child I would stay up with my little-bitty-book-light and read Nancy Drew and The Mystery of the Cupboard until the wee hours of the morning. Since high school, I have been so busy with school and the rest of life, that I haven't taken the time to read for pleasure and general enlightenment. So, I decided that in 2009 I am going to make a goal to read one book a month.

Currently I am reading Henry James' novel, The Portrait of a Lady. It is a book I have always wanted to read, and one that I have checked out of the library several times, but now I am finally reading it. Some of the pieces of literature I plan to read this year are:

*Revolutionary Road
*The Poisonwood Bible
*Les Miserables
*Invisible Man
*Slaughterhouse Five
*For Whom the Bells Toll or The Sun Also Rises (Hemingway)
*The Pillars of the Earth

No comments: