My High School Bestie: Miss Keely Coxon...


Keely, my bestie from high school, lives in palatial Park City, a canyon away from me in Millcreek. We see each other almost every weekend and sometimes during the week. The fact that Keely and I are both in Utah right now is a huge blessing. It’s amazing how we’ve been able to stay in touch for the past 10 years no matter where we live or our current stage of life. Somehow we always seem to be on the same wavelength. We both run late or early at the same time. We suggest activities to do together and always want to do the same thing. Our venting sessions are epic. We don't hold anything back.

Drama besets our lives (Keely more so than me...I always tell her we need to co-write her life story and it will become a best-seller and we'll be set for life) and we’re always there to pick each other up. We coach each other through relationships, life crises, and major decisions. Starbucks and Ruth’s Diner are our salvation. We keep each other sane. I attribute our lasting friendship to our impeccable ability to communicate via text message and instant messaging. In high school Keely spent most of the winter months ski racing so we developed this ability very quickly. We love talking face to face but, even when we can’t, we still manage to support each other. Without text messages we would be lost. Most days we text each other all day long.

Since I was a 14-year-old little high school freshman, Keely has always been there for me---through every heartbreak, triumph, wrong turn, and little victory. She’s one of my biggest fans and I'm one of her most adamant admirers. She believes in me when I don’t believe in myself.

Keely's many mix CDs for me take us back to the different periods in our lives thus far. Our memories from high school always make me laugh. It's so nice to have at least one person who knows what that time in my life was like. All we have to do is play the Killers or Jesse McCartney to be transported back to our adolescence. Now, in our modern realities, we help each other keep the dream alive that we will find our happy endings. Cynicism tries to creep in but we beat it down.

There are so many more things I could say about this wonderful girl, but for now this is all the time I have. I've got to get working on my personal statement for grad school. Miss Keely Coxon, know that my life would not be the same without you. I love you girl!!

3 comments:

Spencer Fidler said...

Love you sister! And Keely. This is Such a GOOD post : )

Keely said...

LOVE YOU girl!!

jjfid said...

My heart is so grateful that you both have each other. There is nothing so wonderful and comforting that a true and trusted friend. It is one of life's greatest blessings! Love you both! xoxoxo